The move to a virtual world has allowed me to open up my teaching studio to more pupils from all over the UK – and around the world! I have some spaces coming up from July so please get in touch (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’re interested. The only requirement from you is that you practice between each lesson! So what can you expect?
I’ve been teaching for over 15 years – both young people and adults, pop music, classical, jazz, musical theatre and songwriting, taking people of all ages through exams (ABRSM, Trinity, Rockschool), preparing artists for performances and recordings, and seeing everyone improve and enjoy themselves. I started my career studying opera at the Royal Northern College of Music, but now I mostly sing soul, gospel, pop and jazz, so I have loads of experience and knowledge in these genres. By being on this website, you’ll most likely know that I write and release my own songs too.
What do you get from me?
- Access to an ever growing library of vocal exercises to increase your range, control, vocal agility and tone. Plus PDFs explaining the basics of vocal technique.
- Backing tracks for the songs you are working on, either made by me in my studio, or bought online. (The cost of any new tracks may be invoiced to you.)
- PDFs of sheet music of songs – I have a large music library! (The cost of new sheet music of songs that you request to learn may also be invoiced to you.)
- Materials for any supporting musicality learning resources e.g. sight signing, aural tests, harmony, theory.
- Introduction to new artists, videos to support your learning, a plan for your singing journey.
- Lots of encouragement, laughter, growth in confidence, improved posture and being challenged!
Learn songs from 2020 back to 1960.
Work on vocal agility – riffs, runs, adlibs
Learn about tone, phrasing, how to control register changes and improvisation
Opportunity to take Rockschool exams.
Microphone and performance technique
Sing songs of your choice or be led by me
Learn songs from all historical music periods – from Early & Baroque to Contemporary
Learn songs in Italian, French, German and Spanish as well as English
Work through ABRSM and Trinity exams
Learn to sight sing and take Grade 5 Theory
Explore performance and acting in song – learn to communicate character and emotion
Increase your range
Work on improving lyrics, rhyme, metaphor and subject matter
Find out how melodic phrasing can transform a lyric from 50 -100%
Learn about chord structures, inversions and other chord extensions to make your song more interesting
Set assignments to help the creative juices flow
Creative coaching – what are you doing with your songs and how can we take your art to the next level
What You Will Need
For online lessons, you need a computer, laptop or iPad set up at the right height, preferably near the router at home for the best WiFi service. Plug in some headphones. Either use the laptop/iPad mic or the mic on your headphones – or, if you are more advanced, use a condenser microphone. I can help you set this up if you need.
You will also need a separate device, eg phone or iPad to play the backing tracks.
To make the most of our lesson, you’ll need to make notes, and the best way to do this is on the sheet music you are learning. So either
- print it off in advance or
- have it on another device and take notes on a separate note pad or
- use the edit /pencil function on your device’s PDF viewer.
How much does it cost?
Lessons are £25 for 35 minutes and £50 an hour. You’ll be invoiced for each month. You can have weekly or fortnightly lessons.